A look at OBS 24 (Open Broadcaster Software)
Written by Paul Richards on August 27, 2019
Open Broadcaster Software is now on version 24.0, or at least offering a new candidate for release. Some of our favorite new features demonstrated in our video is the ability to quickly pause recordings, the dynamic bitrate adjustments and of course the custom browser docks. Check it all out in our live demonstration video!
Here are some of the new features coming to version 24.0:
- The long-requested ability to pause recordings
- A new option to use dynamic bitrate adjustment while streaming instead of dropping frames when internet is congested for whatever reason
- The ability to control browser source audio volume with the audio mixer, as well as apply audio filters, and output audio to stream only rather than desktop audio
- The ability to create custom browser dock widgets so you can have custom web pages opened whenever OBS is opened
- Hardware-accelerated decoding of H264 media files in the media source
- Updated x264, FFmpeg, and CEF versions on Windows. x264, in particular, has a number of new optimizations that should improve performance for anyone using software encoding
- A whole lot of minor optimizations to the program
It’s been a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. If you would like to help test the new release, you can grab it here. Otherwise, it’ll be ready within the next week or two. If you have any issues with the release candidate builds, please report it to us on the #beta-testing channel of our Discord, or in the 24.0 Release Candidate thread on the forums.
Random tech fact of the week (Tess) – Who is the author of OBS? It’s a collaboration between many authors but Hugh “Jim” Bailey is generally considered the original creator of OBS.
Check out our other articles about Open Broadcaster Software below:
- Updated - How to connect OBS and Zoom with VoiceMeeter and Headphone Monitoring - here.
- How to connect OBS with Zoom, here.
- What's new with OBS 26, here.
- OBS vs vMix a complete review here.
- How to use Zoom for Church Meetings and Worship here.
- Here are the top 10 OBS features you need to know about
- Getting dropped frames in OBS. Here are some new feature to help with that.
- Take a look at OBS 24 and all the new feature here.
- Increase your productivity with OBS and learn how to use hotkeys here
- Learn how to setup animated stinger transitions in OBS here
- Learn how to install the NDI plugin for OBS (and why you should) here
- Learn more about the latest OBS user interface (UPDATED for 2019) here
- Make your audio in OBS sound great with these VST 2 plugins here
- Learn how to fix the most common OBS issues! Audio and Video Sync! here
- Learn how to use OBS 20+ here
- Learn how to use NDI Cameras with OBS here
- Learn how to use the OBS Multiview here
- Learn OBS quickly with our ZERO to SIXTY tutorial video here
- Learn more about OBS settings and optimizing your settings for live streaming here
- Learn how to record videos using OBS here
- New OBS 24 feature allows broadcasters the ability to pause and restart video recordings. Learn more here.
- Learn how to add live annotations over your OBS productions here
- Learn how to add a webcam and set up a picture in picture scene inside OBS here
- Learn how to crop and rotate inputs inside OBS here
- Learn how to use color correction tools and LUTs here
- Learn the best way to connect OBS and Zoom here
- Learn how to connect OBS and Teams here
- Learn how to use countdown timers in Teams here
- Learn where OBS recordings are saved here
- Learn how to live stream to YouTube and Facebook with OBS for free here
- Learn about OBS 27's new features here